Guidelines for admissions
Wakayama Medical University August 2017
1. The program starts on April 1, 2018.
2. Admission Quota
|Community and Comprehensive Medicine||Community Health Sciences||Environmental Health and Preventive Medicine||14||42|
|Management for Community Medicine|
|Clinical Laboratory Medicine|
|Emergency and Critical Care Medicine|
|General Internal Medicine|
|Forensic Medicine and Science|
|Medical Education / Population-based Medicine|
|Clinical Data Science|
|Reproductive and Developmental Medicine||Reproductive Medicine|
|Palliative-medicine specialist training course||Palliative Medicine|
|Structural and Functional Biomedical Sciences||Physiological Sciences||Anatomy and Cell Biology||10|
|Anatomy and Neurobiology|
|Integrative and Molecular Physiology|
|Cellular and Molecular Medicine||Metabolic Biochemistry|
|Molecular Cell Biology|
|Organo-therapeutics and Pathology||Internal Medicine||Diabetology,Metabolism and Endocrinology||
|Nephrology and Blood Purification Medicine|
|Hematology and Oncology|
|Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology|
|Surgery||Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery|
|Spine Surgery and Related Research Surgeries|
|Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery|
|Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|Medical oncologist training course||Medical Oncology|
|Note 1.||The course of study normally covers four years.|
|Note 2.||Applicants can choose two specialized subjects (the fields of research) from the above list. They should indicate the order of preference in the prescribed area of the application form. Before applicants select their Major subject, approval by the professor of the Division is required.|
|Note 3.||Admission quota includes a few of applicants of workers.* *Workers must be defined as employees engaged at hospitals, public offices, institutions, or private enterprises etc. who never lose their status at their organizations after starting the study programs.|
3. Eligibility Requirements
Those who meet one of the following qualifications are eligible for application:
- Graduation, or expected graduation by April,2018, from a Japanese university or college of the curriculum of medicine, dentistry, or 6-year course of veterinary medicine.
- Completion, or expected completion by April,2018, of a master's course at a Japanese university or college.
- Obtainment, or expected obtainment by April,2018, of a master's degree from the National Institution for Academic Degrees of Japan.
- Completion, or expected completion by April,2018, of 18 years of regular curricular studies abroad.
- Completion, or expected completion by April,2018, of 18 years of regular curricular studies abroad by correspondence courses.
- Obtainment of qualification by the Minister of the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology.
- Enrollment of 4 years or more at a school of medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine in Japan, or completion of 16 years of regular curricular studies abroad (the final specialization must be medicine, dentistry or veterinary medicine) which was recognized as eligible by the Committee of Admission of Wakayama Medical University.
- Recognition by the Committee of Admissions as having qualification equivalent or superior to graduation from a school of medicine, dentistry, or a 6-year course of veterinary medicine, plus seniority of at least 24 years of age by the end of April,2018.
- The other applicants who were recognized by the Committee of Admissions as having qualification equivalent or superior to graduation from a school of medicine, dentistry, or a 6-year course of veterinary medicine. This includes the graduates of medical or dental schools under the pre-war school system
4. Procedures for application
The following documents should be submitted to the Administration Office of Wakayama Medical University Graduate School of Medicine. In case of mailing, it is requested to send them by registered mail.
Applicants must contact the professor of the relevant department and obtain his/her permission for application before actually filing in the application. Description form is free.
- Resume(Curriculum Vitae)
- Transcript of Academic Record: Prescribed form filled by the advisor of the university attended. It should be officially sealed. Graduates or expected graduates from Wakayama Medical University School of Medicine are not required to submit this document.
- Statement of Application Purpose.
- Certificate of Graduation / Expected Graduation (Undergraduate Course): Graduates or expected graduates from Wakayama Medical University School of Medicine are not required to submit this document.
- Certificate of Completion / Expected Completion (Master's Course): Those who have completed (or expect to complete) master's programs are required to submit this document.
- Certificate of Medical Doctor or Dentist: Those who have Certificate of Medical Doctor or Dentist are required to submit a photocopy of the Certificate.
- Applicants of workers must submit the following documents in addition to the above documents.
- Permission of Application
- Application for Preliminary Screening
- Summary of Research Results
- Certificate of Completion (M.D-Ph.D course) : Those who have completed M.D-Ph.D course are required to submit this document.
- Certificate of Foreign Language : Those who have passed the foreign language test for M.D-Ph.D course are required to submit this document.
- (8) Photograph (2 copies): 3 cm x 4 cm, upper body, bareheaded, front face, taken within the last 3 months.
- (9) Application Fee: 30,000 yen. This should be paid in the form of Postal Money Order (with no entry in the section "To be paid for"), or in cash in case of paying directly at the administration office. Application fee is not necessary for the applicants who finished the master's course at this university within the last two years.
5. Filing-in Period / Administration Office
- Filing-in Period: Applications will be accepted from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm from September 26, 2018 (Tuesday) to October 6, 2018 (Friday), at the Administration Office of Graduate School of Medicine. In case of mailing, please send them by registered mail (yuubin kakitome), Please be sure all the necessary forms and documents reach the office by 4 pm of October 6, 2018.
- Address of the Administration Office: Student Office, Wakayama Medical University Graduate School of Medicine, 811-1 Kimiidera, Wakayama, 641-8509, JAPAN.
6. Subject, Date and Place of Entrance Examination
- Specialized Area for Research (written or oral test)
Date and Time: October 18 (Wednesday),2018,14:00-17:00
Room: Lecture Room1 on the 1st floor of General Education Building
- Foreign Language (English)
Date and Time: October 18 (Wednesday), 2018, 17:00-18:30
Room:Lecture Room2 on the 3rd floor of General Education Building
*You can use a dictionary, but NOT an electronic dictionary
*Those who submitted the document (9) of above-mentioned section4.Procedures for application are exempted from the foreign language test.
7. Announcement of Successful Applicants
|Date||16:30 November 21(Tuesday), 2018|
|Location||In front of the University Office Building|
|Notification||Official notification will be sent by mail.|
8. Procedures for Enrollment
Successful applicants must submit the following documents, with the payment specified below, to the administration office between November 29 (Wednesday) and December 6 (Wednesday), 2018. The office opens from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm on business days. If the required procedures are not completed by 5:00 pm of December 6 (Wednesday), 2018,the admission will be nullified.
- Successful candidates who have taken the examination as expected graduates must submit Certificate of Graduation by the appointed time.
- Pledge: Prescribed form.
- Photograph (2 copy): 3 cm x 4 cm, upper body, bareheaded, front face, taken within the last 3 months.
- Entrance fee: 282,000 yen. Entrance fee is not necessary for the students who finished the master's course at this university within the last two years.
9. Tuition fee
The yearly tuition fee (535,800 yen) may be paid separately by semester.
10. Related information
- Applicants must arrive at the examination room at least 15 minutes before the starting time of examination.
- After the application is received, application fee of 30,000 yen is not refundable.
- After the entrance procedure is completed, the entrance fee is not refundable.
- If the amount of tuition fee is changed during your stay at Wakayama Medical University Graduate School of Medicine, you must pay the revised fee.